Saturday, May 06, 2017

Behind The Scenes - Book Review

Start of a Delightful New Series 
from Historical Romance Author Jen Turano

Miss Permilia Griswold may have been given the opportunity of a debut 
into New York high society, but no one warned her she wasn't guaranteed to "take." 
After spending the last six years banished to the wallflower section of the ballroom, 
she's finally putting her status on the fringes of society to good use 
by penning anonymous society gossip columns 
under the pseudonym "Miss Quill."

Mr. Asher Rutherford has managed to maintain his status 
as a reputable gentleman of society 
despite opening his own department store. 
While pretending it's simply a lark to fill his time, 
he has quite legitimate reasons for needing to make his store 
the most successful in the country.
When Permilia overhears a threat against the estimable Mr. Rutherford, 
she's determined to find and warn the man. 
Disgruntled at a first meeting that goes quite poorly 
and results in Asher not believing her, s
he decides to take matters into her own hands, 
never realizing she'll end up at risk as well.

As Asher and Permilia are forced to work together 
and spend time away from the spotlight of society, 
perhaps there's more going on behind the scenes 
than they ever could have anticipated. . . 




My Thoughts
Behind the Scenes is about Permilia. . .a lovely little wallflower.
Permilia is a "peculiar" character 
and by peculiar I mean she is not your "typical" wealthy young lady.
I felt her behavior bordered on a little insane or maybe irrational is a better word.
You see, Permilia's mother passed away when she was very young
so she grew up in the world of mining with just her father
which resulted in a life away from high society.
As you can imagine, when Permilia's father remarries a lady, 
a lady that mingles in only the highest circles of society,
for the sole purpose of her teaching his daughter 
about the rules and etiquette of being a "proper" lady
well, things get a little out of hand.
Permilia is not familiar with dancing, entertaining guests, 
or even conversing with ladies and gentleman
which in the end results in disaster.

I understand the author was trying to be humorous
with such an unconventional character, but. . .
it was a bit much.
I have always enjoyed Jen Turano's humor and light-hearted fun,
and in all honesty every book I have read by her has been a favorite of mine,
but sadly, Behind the Scenes fell short.
While this book was not my favorite,
I am still looking forward to the second installment in the series
and will continue to hold Jen Turano in high regard.
She has written some phenomenal books,
but unfortunately this simply wasn't one of them.

These are my own personal thoughts
and I know we all have different tastes in literature,
but all in all, Behind the Scenes is a three-star book.

Before I end this review I want to acknowledge Jen Turano's 
ability for writing a clean story with no language or graphic scenes.
This is becoming rare in Christian fiction books
and I must say that I greatly appreciate it 
when authors keep their stories pure.

** I was given a free copy of this book from Bethany House Publishers for an honest review.
All thoughts are my own. No other compensation was received. **

About the Author
Jen Turano, author of eight books and two novellas, 
is a graduate of the University of Akron with a degree in clothing and textiles. 
She is a member of ACFW and lives in Denver, Colorado. 
Visit her website at www.jenturano.com

6 comments:

Vee said...

Oh. This review took an unexpected twist. 😉

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

Thanks for this review -- I'm not familiar with this author but I'm always on the look out for series books!

Daniela said...

Dearest Stephanie,
actually I don't know this author and your reviews are always so very precious to me, we've the same tastes, so I consider much what you write, sweetie !
Thank you once again and always !

Wishing you a most wonderful weekend
sending blessings across the many miles

XOXO Dany

Lowcarb team member said...

It's always interesting to read your book reviews, thank you.

All the best Jan

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Stephanie, thank you for the review. I'm not familiar with this author but she sounds wonderful!! Love the recipe below too. Thanks for sharing my friend.
Love and joys to you, xo

krishna said...

I love to read historical novel...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...